is the next community west of Broad Cove and like it, had as
early settlers, families with the same surnames - Conrad and
historical notes on St. Paul's Church are based on some pages
written many years ago by Rhonda Conrad, supplemented by
information and recollections by her sister, Mrs. Harold Lohnes,
and by some church records of 1898 and financial records from
1914 to 1950.
settlers either went to Lunenburg, and later to St. Peter's
Church at West LaHave Ferry for church services, or attended the
infrequent visitations by Missionaries from Lunenburg, like the
famous service held in a barn at Petite Riviere in l8l2,
reported by DesBrisay.
Mark's Church was built at Broad Cove in l842, and St. Alban's
at Vogler's Cove in l879, it was much easier for the people of
Cherry Hill to attend services. Rhoda Conrad mentions that,
when the schoolhouse was built in l882, services were often held
there, reinforcing the desire of the local people to have a
church in their own community.
Rev. James Spencer arrived in Petite Riviere in l884, he acted
as a catalyst for church construction, having plans drawn and
churches built at Petite in l886 and in New Italy in 1897. From
his efforts and enthusiasm, ably followed up by the Rev. Charles
Mellor, a church committee was formed in Cherry Hill.
purchased from the heirs of the estate of Frederick Conrad, and
in 1894 Mr. Wamback from Broad Cove was hired to build the
church, assisted by volunteer labour. They did so well that it
was opened for service on June l6, 1894. As Dr. Gibson says,
"It is a frame structure with low walls, and a sharply rising
roof", with lancet windows. The windows were imported from
England and a beautiful stained glass window was installed over
census of l897 lists 99 adherents, including three children born
in l897, their parents and grand-parents. Fifty-two were of
Conrad families, Bowers, Now, Lohnes and others making up the
remainder. In the same book is a cash book, running from 1914,
when there were 48 subscribers, to 1941, when they numbered 92,
concluding in 1950, with 45.
book records, in 1930, the sum of $850.00 paid to "Dasson
Wagner, contractor, for church repairs". It would be very
interesting to know what was done. Was the chancel added at
that time ?
communion set, linens, and two sterling silver alms plates were
presented to St. Paul's by the Society for Promoting Christian
Knowledge in England.
was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. C.L. Worrell, Bishop of Nova
Scotia on November 7, 1905.
the church have been Mrs. William Conrad, Rhoda Conrad, Mrs.
Mary Lohnes, Maurice Conrad and Mrs. Stella Forbes.
baby baptized in the church was the son (Donald) of Mr. and Mrs.
linens were made by Mrs. Ellen Tiel and her sister, Mrs. Percy
Conrad. The new Rood Screen in the church was made by J.G.
Fultz, Pentz, based on a drawing by Dr. Robert Crouse in the